Stephen Belshaw – Construction lawyer
Specialist in Construction and Dispute Resolution & Commercial Litigation
Stephen has specialised in construction law for over 27 years.
Formerly a partner at Shoosmiths, he is regularly recognised by the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners as an expert in construction law.
The focus of his practice is contentious construction.
Stephen acts for main contractors, sub-contractors, specialist contractors, employers, developers, funders, consultants and end-user occupiers. He has extensive knowledge and experience of adjudication, arbitration, litigation, mediation, expert determination and other forms of alternative dispute resolution
Stephen can also handle non-contentious construction including drafting and amendment of bespoke and standard form building and engineering contracts (JCT, NEC, ICE and other institutional forms of contracts) consultants’ appointments, bonds, guarantees and warranties.
Stephen always strives to help clients achieve their commercial objectives as cost effectively, quickly, and smoothly as possible.
As well as being a strong technical lawyer, Stephen has a proven track record of business generation and bringing clients and contacts together to generate business opportunities.
- Advising international facilities management contractor on procurement issues arising out of the letting of facilities management contract for the British Library.
- Successfully resolving dispute for multinational company arising out of the defective design and construction of floor slab to main UK storage and distribution centre.
- Successfully defending a series of adjudications brought by ground work subcontractor against main contract under NEC form of sub-contract.
- Advising national main contractor in connection with successful bid to secure place on public sector construction framework agreement.
- R and C Electrical Engineers Ltd v Shaylor Construction Limited (2012) EWHC 1254 (TCC).
- Oakrock Ltd v Travelodge Hotels Ltd & Ors  EWHC 30 (TCC)
Stephen enjoys sport. He is a long-suffering Aston Villa fan and enjoys watching rugby and cricket. He still manages to drag himself down to the gym without causing too much damage which allows him to drink and eat free from restriction!
- Email [email protected]
- Office 0845 257 9449
- Phone +44 (0)121 123 1206
- Mobile +44 (0) 7740 456430