Scott is a client-focused and results-driven dispute resolution lawyer committed to providing the best service to his clients. Advising both claimants and defendants, he has extensive experience in resolving a broad spectrum of commercial disputes, including contractual disputes, professional negligence claims, Ombudsman complaints, reputation and brand protection disputes (e.g. defamation), insurance disputes, shareholder/director disputes, partnership disputes and contentious insolvency.
Scott enjoys building effective relationships with clients and business partners. He thrives on being involved in identifying the issues and objectives from an early stage, enabling him to implement commercial, pragmatic and cost-effective strategies for successful dispute resolution. He acts in a variety of business sectors for limited and public companies, professionals including insolvency officeholders, business owners/directors, shareholders, partnerships, charities, and individuals. He has extensive experience of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, and is familiar with many litigation funding options, including conditional fee agreements, damages based agreements, insurance and litigation funding.
Prior to joining Excello, Scott was a partner at a specialist commercial litigation practice and at a leading commercial law practice with offices in Bristol and London, before which he was a partner and head of dispute resolution at a major national law firm.
- Instructed by an international company to pursue a multi-million pound claim for breach of contract regarding the use and return of bespoke machinery in the oil industry.
- Instructed by a high net worth individual with extensive business interests to bring a six-figure professional negligence claim against a barrister following his representation of the client in a defamation claim, achieving a very advantageous settlement for the client at a without prejudice meeting.
- Acting for the majority shareholder and director of a limited company in a dispute with the minority shareholder and director. Advising the client on a successful strategy to remove the minority shareholder and director from the business and to avoid an unfair prejudice petition.
- Instructed by a former director of a company to defend a claim brought by liquidators against him personally and against two of his companies for over £1 million for alleged misfeasance, preferential payments, and transactions at an undervalue.
- Acting for the liquidator in bringing a six-figure claim against a former director for misfeasance and wrongful trading.
Scott enjoys running ultra-marathons, snow sports and tennis, although a series of injuries and age have somewhat limited his ability to continue these sports!
He also enjoys watching football, rugby and cricket and going to gigs and the theatre, as well as spending time with family and friends.
We had a breach of contract claim in which Scott acted for us. Scott provided excellent commercial and pragmatic advice, keeping us up-to-date with progress throughout, and providing an efficient and cost-effective service. His legal knowledge and litigation experience resulted in a successful strategy being adopted and us winning our case at trial.
Director of a limited company
I had a commercial dispute with the property developer and needed legal help in pursuing the claim. Scott has helped me to resolve my case effectively. He keeps the business to the point. I appreciate his punctual communication and prompt responses. Absolutely brilliant service!
I would like to thank you for helping me to resolve this very unpleasant dispute. I would also like to thank you for the clarity of your correspondence and for keeping me in touch with developments at all times.