Rob is a solutions focused, commercial solicitor with over 25 years’ experience of advising SME business owners/management on the range of legal issues they face across the life of their business.
Previously the owner of a specialist practice where he was responsible for all commercial work undertaken, Rob’s expertise lies in two main areas:
Helping clients establish, grow, and often exit their business
From setting up business structures, to advising on business contracts (terms and conditions, commercial contracts etc), engaging key staff, and bringing on investors through to identifying and implementing exit strategies, including dealing with mergers, joint ventures, restructuring, business sales and purchases.
Helping clients resolve or avoid disputes
Including audits to reduce and manage risk, training on due diligence when contracting with suppliers and customers, through to dispute resolution procedures of all types (including litigation – particularly before the Business and Property, Technology and Construction courts), construction adjudications/arbitrations, and mediation.
Rob is an accredited CMC registered mediator with Clerksroom, and is a frequent speaker/presenter/trainer on subjects such as buying/selling businesses, data protection/privacy law, and dispute resolution.
- Working long-term with a business owner identifying a strategy to exit his business and realise maximum value. This included “tidying” the business to prepare it for sale, identifying potential sellers, and assisting with negotiations leading to a competed share sale agreement.
- Advising a specialist software company, and leading negotiations on a framework supply agreement for its services to be rolled out in jurisdictions across the globe. This involved some urgent and detailed analysis of the application of GDPR, and some challenging negotiations on the ownership of IP rights.
- Helping a listed franchising organisation to defend a multi-party £multi-million arbitration case, which involved defeating a spurious attempt by the claimants to start insolvency proceedings and negotiating confidential settlements protecting the company’s brand.
- Assisting a renewable energy company to resolve a number of tricky arbitrations where the other parties refused to pay following the insolvency of the company’s foreign based parent. Proactively pursuing claims, leading to positive settlements and allowing construction work to be finalised with significant monies recovered.
- Acting for sellers in a £10m share sale which needed to be completed in short time to allow the listed purchaser to make significant stock exchange announcements. Working effectively with clients (and purchaser’s solicitors – two firms and 8 layers in total) to amend, approve and complete all documentation (including affording protection to the sellers with limited warranties and indemnities, and a full disclosure letter). Transaction completed on time, and to agreed cost budgets.
Rob enjoys live music (usually involving loud guitars), watching rugby, cricket and athletics (formerly a coach but now pursuing his official’s qualifications), and walking with his wife and their black labrador Ned across the beautiful Shropshire countryside.
Member Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
CMC Registered Mediator via Clerksroom Mediation
Charity Trustee – Community Radio Station/Foodbank
When approached from a private equity investor with a compelling offer to purchase, Rob was the right choice. From the outset he gave great advice, sound judgment and set the tempo throughout our negotiations. Having agreed favourable terms within time scale, we were delighted by the services received and without hesitation would recommend Rob.
SHAREHOLDER, SPECIALIST SOFTWARE SERVICES COMPANY
Rob’s advice on my position as a company director was invaluable at a time when I felt I was under a lot of pressure, and on the receiving end of action which I was extremely unhappy about. It allowed me to think clearer in a difficult personal situation and to steer a sensible course of action, resulting in my maintaining the position of director and feeling happier about my future with this company’s board. I thank Rob for this, and should I need any advice in the future, then I know where to come!
DIRECTOR, NATIONAL FOOD MANUFACTURER
As this was the first time of going through a business sale, it was important to us to have confidence in our advisor and this was so of Rob. He regularly kept us informed and provided guidance at every step of the process providing us with all the support we needed to confidently work through the rigorous and emotional process. Rob comes across as open, honest and genuinely caring about obtaining the right result, often going out of his way to work to challenging deadlines and sometimes at unsociable hours due to the overseas transaction. Rob is clearly experienced in this field and I can highly recommend his services.
SHAREHOLDER, MIDLANDS MANUFACTURING COMPANY
We recently engaged Rob to advise on and oversee the legal side of setting up of our new company with new licencing agreements, new contracts with global network of ninety coaches, and “handle” shifting timescales and priorities.
His knowledge, experience and commitment has helped us navigate this complex arena and still keep smiling. His wisdom, patience and advice, coupled with his genuine interest in getting the best result for us as company, and our coaches, has always been at the forefront of his advice.
If you are looking for someone who “knows his stuff”, is always helpful, and goes the extra mile, look no further than Rob.
JOINT CHIEF OPERATING OFFICERS, BUSINESS SERVICES ORGANISATION
Rob was recommended to me by my business network to create a sign-up contract for our AWS reseller services. He listened and understood the requirements for our relatively complex IT services. He swiftly delivered a contract template suitable for our purposes – not only did he come up with the goods, he’s a thoroughly nice chap too! I recommend Rob and Excello Law’s services without hesitation.
PETER BARFIELD, DIRECTOR, PBS CREATIVE
Rob Andrews at Excello Law assisted with a share purchase agreement / company buy back. We found Rob really straightforward to deal with, always keeping to promises and timescales and always available to speak to us and guide us and push the process forward. We would definitely look to work to Rob again should we need any further commercial legal support and would happily recommend him to other firms.
CLAIRE OAKLEY, DIRECTOR, ACORN TO OAKS FINANCIAL SERVICES
In a world where complaints seem to dominate the media world of business, Rob Andrews has been a fantastic ambassador for Excello Law. His experience is a matter of record, but his approach, manner and guidance have been of the very highest order.
It has been an extremely challenging period of litigation, a period where Rob never failed to put us first.
SNG Barratt worked with Rob Andrews to complete the purchase of Holden Vintage and Classic in September 2021.
Rob was extremely helpful and managed to perfectly balance the difficult task of ensuring that he explained the processes and issues in layman’s terms as well as ensuring we understood the complexities of the deal. There were a number of hurdles we encountered and Rob was excellent in breaking the issues down for us to ensure we understood the risks and allowing us to make decisions with all the facts in front of us.
Rob has provided a first-class service since our first engagement with him in 2013. He has assisted in resolving business disputes, drafted and negotiated key contracts for us, guided on employment and HR matters, and been on hand to discuss strategy for our continued growth. Always friendly, efficient and extremely knowledgeable, consistently providing updates and working to advise and guide us personally and in business.
I thoroughly enjoy working with Rob and have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending him. He is trusted implicitly.
Mark Bremner, CEO, MBKB Limited