Phil is an employment solicitor who qualified in 2002 and has more than 20 years’ experience dealing with HR and employment law issues. Prior to becoming a solicitor he spent almost 10 years as a senior manager in the private healthcare sector.
Before joining Excello Law Phil was an Associate in a leading regional law firm.
Phil acts for both employees and employers, however the main focus of his practice is acting for employers of all sizes and in all business sectors including manufacturing, service industries, retail and leisure.
He covers all areas of employment law from drafting contracts, policies and procedures through to employment tribunal representation. He particularly enjoys advising on TUPE transfers and reorganisations, reviewing and advising on HR strategy and negotiating exit strategies and terms for senior executives/employees.
- Advised a European company on sensitive employment issues relating to a restructure of its UK operations.
- Advised a national company on a sensitive reorganisation of its workforce which involved redundancy payments in excess of £1.5 million.
- Acted for a national company in defending an unfair dismissal claim which had it been successful would have had a damaging effect on the company’s reputation in respect of health and safety, in an industry where a good health and safety record is crucial.
- Advised an employee on a successful exit strategy involving sensitive negotiations on complex pension issues resulting in a settlement worth in excess of £100,000.
- Advised on and resolved a complex unfair dismissal, sex discrimination and equal pay claim which if not resolved would have had significant financial and public relations implications for the company.
Phil and his wife are currently half way through a restoration project that is their home which they share with their pet dog Dylan near to Cannock Chase an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the Midlands. When not working, Phil enjoys reading, walking, cycling and travel. He is passionate about art having completed a fine art degree in 1989 but rarely gets the chance now to pick up a brush unless it’s to redecorate or sweep the patio.
Max Frank Ltd has worked with Phil for several years now and his HR advice is always pragmatic and useful in that he not only advises on the technicalities of employment legislation but also proposes practical measures that are designed to recover a situation. As a SME, we find the cost structure very cost-effective
MARK ALDRED, MAX FRANK LTD
I have been impressed with Phil’s straight forward, easy to understand commercial approach that he uses … he has helped to steer the company through difficult and complex employment law and HR issues.
JAYNE GREENMAN, ARENA RACING CORPORATION LTD
We have worked with Phil over a number of years, he has consistently provided us with an excellent service. We have been able to reach suitable cost effective resolutions to employment issues with Phil’s expert guidance.
LYNNE ANDERSON, SIMONA UK LTD
Phil has advised all the companies within our Group on Employment matters for several years. This includes advice on TUPE which is often required … We are impressed by Phil’s legal expertise and equally by the practical way in which he approaches problems. Phil provides practical commercial solutions and is always mindful of the costs.
IAN BIRCHALL, GEORGE BIRCHALL GROUP MANAGEMENT LTD