Ian is a senior lawyer and former national corporate head at top 50 firm Weightmans.
He trained and qualified at Alsop Wilkinson (now DLA), and was previously Liverpool corporate head at Hill Dickinson.
Ian handles the full range of company commercial matters but is particularly focused on acquisitions and disposals.
He also acts for a number of national law firms and has been involved in the setting up of numerous ABS’s.
Matters Ian has handled include the following:
- The sale of Norse Merchant Shipping Group by a US Hedge Fund to Maersk in one of the largest recent North West transactions;
- The financing for the purchase of The Sandcastle by Downings in one of the largest Liverpool property deals (circa £50m);
- The sale of Portgrade and the Afonwen laundry business to Johnsons Services Group for in excess of £50m (the Insider deal of the month for May 2016);
- The acquisition of Simmons Builders Merchants and Shropshire Building Supplies by Huws Gray Limited in the Summer of 2016;
- The establishment and funding of three CHP plants in North Wales for the biomass company Newbridge Energy Limited.
Ian lives in Chester and when not ferrying his two sons between social events is a keen sportsman with a particular interest in rugby.
He also enjoys snowboarding (or more accurately scraping the snow off the slopes to annoy the skiers), and still claims to surf every now and again.
We have been working with Ian Vicary from the corporate team at Excello Law for over 8 years, completing more than 30 acquisitions nationally. Ian is commercially astute, understands our business and growth ambitions and we value the legal expertise we receive. With Excello Law, we have a responsive and efficient external legal team and know the wider capabilities of the senior lawyers within its national network.
Terry Owen, Managing Director, Huws Gray Ltd