Nicky Calthrop-Owen is a leading restructuring solicitor, well known for her contentious litigation and advisory work in restructuring matters . Having qualified as a solicitor in 1990 and as a licensed insolvency practitioner in 1998, she has considerable experience.
She has been consistently recognised by the Legal 500 and Chambers legal directories as a ‘leading individual’ . She is again listed in the 2024 Legal 500 “ Hall of Fame” and has been ranked in Chambers and Partners UK Midlands Restructuring / Insolvency for 20 years.
Nicky enjoys advising clients in complex insolvency / restructuring matters. She has received high profile referrals where directors or stakeholders have required discrete advice to achieve the best outcome and to comply with their obligations.
Nicky has acted for insolvency practitioners and stakeholders across the UK in making significant recoveries for creditors who have suffered loss.
- Nicky has been involved in some of the largest restructuring cases in the East Midlands.
- Nicky acted for a local authority following the collapse of INTU Properties and the impact upon the development of the local shopping centre.
- She has brought multiple successful misfeasance / preference / tracing and trust claims on behalf of insolvency practitioners.
- She also has in-depth knowledge in the fast-developing area of misfeasance claims brought by liquidators following the implementation of certain tax avoidance EBT / FURBS schemes.
- She has acted in the peer to peer and alternative finance sector for lenders and Security Trustees in making recoveries and being instructed on complex fraud cases.
- Having been a partner herself in a law firm, rising to the position of chair , she has considerable legal management and financial experience. She has advised other professional partnerships upon their obligations and risks in the insolvency arena. She has also conducted / advised upon partnership disputes .
Nicky enjoys learning Spanish, mosaics and gardening. She enjoys travelling in Europe with her husband and friends. Her favourite city is Barcelona.
She is also a volunteer for the charity Reach Learning Disability and thoroughly enjoys attending Flower Pod Southwell where clients and volunteers enjoy gardening, wildlife, crafts and floristry.
Nicky is a fellow of R3
Nicola Calthrop-Owen is a certified insolvency practitioner and advises on contentious and non-contentious matters arising from corporate and personal insolvency. She is highly recommended for matters such as misfeasance and breach of contract claims against directors.
Chambers and Partners UK 2023 – Restructuring and Insolvency
Nicky always brings professionalism and commerciality to a matter. She has an in-depth understanding of legislation and is happy to share that knowledge and engage and debate on interpretation and the art of the possible, particularly on complex and contentious matters. Her attention to detail is outstanding and she has tenacity in pursuing the right result for her clients. All of this is balanced with managing her client’s expectations in terms of outcomes.
Over the years we have worked on numerous matters together and it has always felt more of a partnership than solicitor client relationship, particularly on the larger complex matters.
Nicky is held in extremely high regard in the professional community.
Jill Sandford, Head of Borrower Services, ThinCats