Louise Brown – Employment Solicitor
Specialist in Employment
Louise is an employment solicitor with over 22 years’ experience including 15 years running her own niche employment law firm as a Sole Practitioner. She had total responsibility for business development, compliance with the SRA requirements, running all aspects of the firm whilst at the same time carrying a significant caseload of clients. Whilst running her own firm Louise employed six employment solicitors.
She has always acted for both employers and employees. Louise has been listed in Chambers as a “notable practitioner”.
Louise has particular expertise in discrimination cases and has conducted many high profile discrimination cases on behalf of Claimants in the Employment Tribunal (ET), Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT), High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Keeley –v- Fosroc International Limited  ALL ER (D) 65 where she acted for the Claimant. This was a case dealing with the effect of company handbooks and when their provisions are incorporated into an employee’s contract of employment. The Court of Appeal gave judgment in favour of the Claimant, reversing the decision of the High Court. Judgement was given in the sum of around £80,000.00.
- Grimley –v- Turner and Jarvis  ALL ER (D) 20 where she acted for the Claimant in a disability discrimination claim. The EAT upheld the ET’s judgment in favour of the Claimant and damages were awarded in the sum of over £20,000.00.
- Gilkes –v- Northamptonshire County Council  ALL ER (D) 307 where the EAT considered the liability to pay employees compensation for unfair dismissal when the employee was employed by the governing body of a school.
- Shaw –v- CCL Limited (UK EAT/0512/06) where she acted for the Claimant and the EAT held that the refusal of a flexible working request amounted to direct and indirect sex discrimination and led to a fundamental breach of the Claimant’s employment contract entitling her to resign and claim constructive unfair dismissal.
- Acting for a major public school in a reorganisation of a department involving over 100 employees and requiring close compliance with the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.
BA Hons in English Literature and History – 2.1 - from Oxford Brookes University
Law Society Finals – Guildford College of Law
When Louise is not working she enjoys spending time with her family of three children on their farm in beautiful Rutland and with her friends. She loves to travel, and enjoys all food with a particular penchant for red wine ! She enjoys watching films, reading, country walks with her two dogs and family, and loves to run around her local reservoir.
- Email [email protected]
- Office 0845 257 9449
- Phone 01536 770822
- Mobile 07921 390629
Latest Blog Posts
Whatever the size of your business, employers need to keep abreast of changes in employment law. There have been some interesting cases in 2016 which have given clarification on key decisions which employers may face in the workplace: Using ‘protected conversations’ – how protected are you? Protected conversations were introduced to enable employers to discuss […]Read More