Partner in Property Litigation
Developer wins compensation for lost profits
Your neighbours owe you a duty of care and, if they cause a nuisance that results in you suffering financial loss, you are entitled to compensation in full. The point was made by the case of a landowner whose development hopes were stymied by flooding arising from a collapsed drain on a neighbouring railway line.
The landowner purchased a brownfield site and obtained planning permission with a view to swiftly completing a residential development and selling it on at a profit. Any such plans, however, came to nothing when the site flooded due to the collapsed drain on adjoining land owned by public undertaker Network Rail Infrastructure Limited (NRIL).
More than two years passed before NRIL rectified the drainage issue. In the interim, the landowner was unable to commence any development work on the site. Faced with that hiatus, it took the difficult decision to sell the undeveloped site with the benefit of planning permission. With a view to recovering the profits it would otherwise have made on the development, it launched proceedings against NRIL alleging nuisance and breach of duty of care.
Upholding the claim, the High Court noted that NRIL was under a duty to take reasonable and appropriate steps to prevent damage to neighbouring land. The loss suffered by the developer would not have occurred had the drain been maintained and promptly repaired. NRIL had sought to justify its prolonged lack of activity in dealing with the drainage issue by reference to its five-year budgetary cycle. However, that was no excuse and, if NRIL’s budgetary systems did not permit it to respond timeously to such emergencies, then it had to face the financial consequences.
The Court noted that the flooding resulted in the landowner having to hold the site for an extended period without any ability to develop it. Valuing its loss of profit claim at in the region of £1 million, it was constrained to dispense with its workforce before reaching the reasonable decision to dispose of the site. The Court heard further argument as to the final amount of the landowner’s damages award.
The House Maker (Padgate) Limited v Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
Disclaimer: Nothing in the Legal Insights section and this blog is intended to provide legal or other professional advice and, if readers are interested, they should consider taking separate legal or other professional advice accordingly.
- Agricultural Law & Estate Solicitors | Excello Law
- Commercial Contract Lawyers – Contract Specialists
- Employment Law Solicitors – Award-Winning Excello Law
- Executive Employment Remuneration & Incentive Experts
- Family Law Mediation – Divorce & Separation Experts
- Insolvency Solicitor – Expert Liquidation Advice | Excello Law
- Intellectual Property Solicitors | Excello Law
- Our Banking & Finance Legal Experts – Excello Law
- Our Business & Corporate Legal Experts – Excello Law
- Our Commercial Litigation Solicitors for Disputes | Excello Law
- Our Data Protection & Information Governance Experts
- Our Minerals, Environment & Renewable Energy Experts
- Our Private Client Experts
- Our Property Development (Commercial) Experts
- Our Property Development (Residential) Experts
- Our Property Litigation Solicitors for Disputes | Excello Law
Our business model encourages true diversity, offering the opportunity for entrepreneurial lawyers from all backgrounds and legal career profilesContact us
- Agriculture & Estates
- Banking & Finance
- Business & Corporate
- Charities & Social Enterprise
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Covid-19 legal support
- Data Protection & Information Governance
- Employee Incentives
- Family Law & Mediation
- Franchising & Licensing
- Insolvency & Corporate Recovery
- Intellectual Property
- IT, Telecoms & Digital
- Minerals, Environment & Renewable Energy
- Private Client
- Property Development – Commercial
- Property Development – Residential
- Property Litigation
- Real Estate
- Sports, Media & Entertainment
- Trade & Investment
We pursue excellence in every aspect of our work, aiming to deliver quality, innovation and the highest standards of serviceContact us